Sunday, July 1, 2012

Redneck Diplomat and the Giant Fish


For those who have followed some of my rambling Facebook posts lately, you will know that today represents a significant day in my life.  It never has before today; last year it came and went without incident.  Today, though, it represents something different.  Today is the oldest I have ever been, and the youngest I will ever be again.

July 1, 2012 marks Day One of my midlife crisis.

I’m not going to run out and buy a sports car, although I could.  I have no desire to take on a mistress.  I’m actually pretty satisfied with life in general.  But I’m not getting any younger.  It might be a good idea if I started taking better care of myself.  Two years at a desk job, and I feel like it is subtracting time from my life expectancy.

I’m not overweight – I never have been, but I’m soft.  Things that I used to do without thinking about it now make me hurt.  I still run occasionally, but I check to make sure there is ibuprofen in the house before I do, and that the hot water tanks are full so I can get in the tub afterwards. 

I used to be an avid martial artist – I studied Karate for several years, Tae Kwon Do for a year, and a few months of Aikido.  Yet today, I have lost over half of my strength, speed, and flexibility.

It comes as no surprise to my friends that I would plan my midlife crisis in advance, I’ve actually been thinking about it for weeks.

Two weeks ago, after a two-mile run together, my 11-year old told me that she wasn’t going to run with me next time, because she wanted to improve her time.  That was probably my breaking point.

I made an appointment with a personal trainer, who will be meeting with me several times over the coming months.  To my dismay, he shattered my denial by telling me I needed to eat differently.  In order to survive the workout sessions he has planned, I have to eat tons of protein and make sure I’m actually taking in what I need.

So this morning, off to the market I went.  The objective:  to buy a pound of fresh fish.  After noonish, it isn’t so fresh anymore.  I was hoping for a big slab of fresh tuna, although I had no idea what it looked like.

We navigated the maze of tiny shops until we arrived at the fish place.  There were no fewer than a dozen different varieties of random fish, including flounder and a few others I couldn’t identify.  The vendor didn’t have tuna, but he offered me another fish, head and all, and said it was almost the same thing.

Sure it is.  Pork is almost the same thing as beef, except it comes from a pig.
Then I saw it.  I have never heard of a “side of fish,” but that’s what this reminded me of.  I asked the fish-seller to slice off a piece that would weigh about a pound.  Based on what I got, there was at least 50 pounds of meat there, cut into four giant fish-roasts so it could be easily handled.    

After making a few more stops, my family and I walked the half-mile back to our house.  I took my prized fish steak into the kitchen and cut it into 4 portions.  Before I did, though, I decided to take this photo to share with the blogosphere.  That is a 10-inch plate, folks.



I fried a portion in the skillet in about a tablespoon of oil, with a little cumin sprinkled on.  It was joined by a scoop of fresh coleslaw and half an avocado.

Maybe this idea of eating healthy isn’t going to be so bad after all.


Read more of the Redneck Diplomat's struggles with live seafood with An Extra Two Clams.

No comments:

Post a Comment