Saturday, June 16, 2012

An Extra Two Clams


Let me start this entry out with a geography lesson.  The Ozarks, where we grew up, is absolutely nowhere near the ocean.  I didn’t see the ocean for the first time until I was 24 years old, and it didn’t count because I was at the back of a small bay.  It was a couple of years later before I looked out to the horizon and saw nothing but water.

My wife had tasked me with going to the market to buy clams.  Since Lima is right next to the Pacific, the seafood at the markets is fresh, and often still live.

Last week, I found clams already shucked and ready, and bought 350g, or about ¾ pound, for the equivalent of $8.  I have no idea if that is a good price or not, but the chowder was phenomenal.

Today, the market was different.  We have already established that I know nothing about clams, but those who know me will say I will never miss a chance at a bargain.  Clams still in the shell seemed to be cheaper than those already shucked, so I bought 20 of the little guys, still live.  It doesn’t get any fresher than that, I thought, and I spent the same $8 on a much larger bag of clams.  I would save a dollar or two by shucking them myself.

I chose my tool for the task, a large metal spoon, and thought, how hard could this be, just get them out of the shell, right?



It turns out that clams don’t want to be shucked.  It was unanimous.  Redneck determination being what it is, I did eventually get them all out of their shells and onto a cutting board, but not without cost.  I had cut myself slightly a couple of times, on pieces of broken shell.

If clams had teeth, I would have been bitten four times.  These guys did NOT want to be turned into chowder.

Then of course, came the task of separating the actual clam meat from the rest of the alien being.  Having zero knowledge of mollusk anatomy, I still managed to remove anything that looked like clam-poop, and called it good.  Almost an hour after the ordeal began, I placed my cleaned-up clams on my wife’s small kitchen scale.

400g.

By shucking my own, I had scored two extra clams.  Some people would say it isn’t worth the time and effort involved, and they might be right.

But I still got two clams for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment