Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Stickman Chronicles, Day 120



Four months in – a third of a year, and I suppose there are a few new things to report.  I’ve gained 12 pounds since July 1st, and that is first and foremost.

My biggest problem when I started this effort was my own ignorance.  While I know a lot about human physiology due to my time spent in the medical field, I am quite foolish when it comes to the subject of fitness.

I’ve shied away from most fitness forums, since they are mostly filled with spammers trying to sell the latest powdered soybean-sawdust crap that promises to add pounds of pure ripped muscle without the slightest effort.  The pounds lost come straight from your wallet.

Through a friend, though, I got lucky, and I have found a Facebook workout group, of the virtual variety, called “Devil Dog Fitness.”  (I am proud to gratuitously insert the team leader’s link here.) At first I was skeptical, since none of these ladies share my fitness goals – they all want to lose weight, but they are trying with the same desperation that I feel.  There haven’t been all the “Oh I wish I had that problem” comments - they get what it feels like to not like what you see in the mirror, and they also know the only way to get there is through sweat and effort.  The members are courageous enough to post photos online they would rather burn, and numbers they would rather hide under the bed.  There are words of encouragement because these girls get it.  I am incredibly inspired by them.

I went a step farther, and started working with a personal trainer.  One can see his resume from a distance – I’m not sure that he could be cut with a diamond.  I think this has helped tremendously, because not only has he guided me in developing my own workout routine, but I have to make an appointment to meet him at the gym, and I have agreed to pay him.

This means that I actually have to meet him at the gym.  And since I will be there anyway, I might as well work out. So, the Stickman works out. And the Stickman slowly gets bigger.

I’ve yet to receive my first product endorsement deal, but I am watching the mail for it every day.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you totally get what I am trying to do! I created my group to help motivate and encourage people to get healthy and not get hung up on fad diets, or keeping up with what everyone else is doing! Thank you for the kind words!
    :)
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete