Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Stickman Chronicles, Day 50

Has anyone ever had an out of body experience on the treadmill?

And no, I do not refer to collapsing beside it as the world spins around you, gazing up through the oxygen-debt-induced fog and begging Jesus to take you home.

I have again taken up meditation, nothing Buddhist - just relaxation techniques, and an attempt to stop my brain from thinking about all the stressful things that run through it 24/7.  Sometimes I sing to myself, or out loud if I'm alone in the gym.  Anything to stop the voice in my head.  No friends, I didn't say VOICES.  There's no one in there but me, and it's scary enough.

I got on the treadmill after my short workout, to do my ten minutes of cardio.  Sometimes I'll hold 5-pound dumbbells in my hands like a boxer, which for some reason makes my heart rate go through the roof.  I don't run, just a brisk walk on a solid incline, but if my heart rate tops 140, I'll dial it back a little and try to keep it there.

About three minutes in, the old ticker is pumping along, so I close my eyes and just tried to think of nothing.  For a while, I went through the details of my day, and future plans, things that make sense.  Then, somewhere in there, I started thinking of weird, random stuff.  The kind of things that a person dreams about and then wakes up and thinks, "Man, that was weird."  I was trying to chase a girl from high school who was riding a bicycle, when all I had was a skateboard.  I was driving a Hummer through my parents' backyard, trying to explain a rollover drill.  I was back on the helicopter again, riding back from a call and watching the sunset turn into night.  Nothing violent or disturbing, and my head is full of all sorts of that stuff buried deep down, and I would just as soon it stay there.  I'm talking about truly strange stuff that makes so sense.

It wasn't like sleeping while standing up either, because I have done that, too.

In milder states, it might be called a runner's high, and I have had that before.  The advantage is, it blocks out all the pain you should feel, so you can keep going.  This was nothing like that.  It was a deep meditative state, that almost felt like I took a cat-nap right through my 10 minutes of cardio.  When the timer went off, I snapped awake, which means that I wasn't quite awake the second before.

I have no idea exactly how I did this or why, but there it is in a nutshell. (Austin Powers:  "Why are we in this nutshell?")  Maybe that's an appropriate place for it, but all I know is, I felt GOOD.  Not sleepy, or even that relaxed.  Just good.  Wherever I was, I think I will try to get back there next time, and pay more attention to the road signs.

 

1 comment:

  1. Yancy yancy yancy, after your workout blood was pumped into your muscles and then with the weights in your hands raising your heartrate pumping more oxygen and blood from your brain it is easily to intensify your thoughts, that's why working out is Awesome . It's kinda like the esphixiation during sex I guess that's why people do it, cutting blood and oxygen off from the brain heightens rhe experience. Jus my thought lol

    ReplyDelete